/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Friday, January 9, 2015

SHORT EYES (1977)


"I'm a hope-to-die dope-fiend!""not because I'm black!""because I like being a dope-fiend! You hear me nigger?"

 I'm a big fan of the PENITENTIARY series so it was pretty cool to be introduced to a film that is sorta similar to those but done in a way more serious dramatic way. SHORT EYES deals with men in prison, racism, homosexuality and how child-molesters are treated in the slammer. Spoiler-alert!: it's not very nice! While I wouldn't put this over the PENITENTIARY flicks for pure enjoyment value since I'm an exploitation movie fan, it's still a good watch though and it's neat to see Curtis Mayfield in an acting role. I wasn't aware the dude acted in anything. Of course it's an acting role where he gets to sing which brings up an odd aspect about this film; for the most part it's a super-serious ride through New York's tombs but then in one part there's a musical number?? It's a weird jarring moment that really stands out. Luckily I dig Mr. Mayfield so it's all good.
 Apparently this was originally a stage play so I guess that explains the one overly-theatrical moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment