/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Sunday, October 11, 2015

A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT (2014)


 This movie seems to have been the horror nerds flavor-of-the-month favorite a while back and watching one of those movies can be fairly risky. Also it's a new vampire movie and viewing one of those(with a couple of exceptions, e.g., LET THE RIGHT ONE IN) is almost always a bad idea. While I wouldn't say this is the most ground-breaking, amazing thing I've ever seen I will say it sure looked good. In fact the black and white cinematography is undoubtedly the strongest thing this film has going for it. This raises the obvious thought that in modern films(do we still refer to these things as films since they're not shot on film??) the look of something seems vastly more important than the content. That's not to say this is a completely empty presentation with nothing of interest. You do get a finger bitten off, some neck-biting and the most horror-filled scene featuring an old junkie shooting smack into his ugly deformed tootsies. It's all just a little slow-moving and goth-like for my personal taste and if I think about the plot too hard it seems like a more depressing inversion of the those TWILIGHT movies where we have a cute little vampire gal instead of a dreamy hunky bloodsucker who falls for a mortal. Of course I've never seen any of those mainstream crap-fests so maybe I got it all wrong. I will give props for the use of some cool spaghetti-western tunes here and there. This really just made me want to go watch the original movies but OK.
 As a curiosity piece, this being the only Iranian(though shot in California but starring actors speaking Persian) vampire film I can think of, it's probably worth a look, but I really wish trend-setting horror aficionados would stop over-hyping every slightly different movie they come across.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment