/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Monday, February 14, 2011

TRUE GRIT (2010)



I never cared at all about John Wayne movies so I can't tell you how this compares to the original version.  I'm a spaghetti-western fan.  I don't care much about big-budget Hollywood films(Although I know without them all the crazy rip-off movies from Italy and Hong Kong that I find much more interesting to watch wouldn't exist) and I sure as hell don't give two shits about the Academy Awards.  With that being said I think that The Coen Brothers films are rare examples of something interesting coming out of the superficial, glossy cesspool that is modern-day Hollywood.  Their movies are almost all just off-kilter enough to be watchable and entertaining spectacles, even if I don't find them very re-watchable.   This movie is about revenge and justice like most good westerns and is a pretty simplistic tale.  A 14-year-old girl hires a bounty hunter to catch the killer of her father and that's it.  The interesting aspect, like all of the Coens movies, and the thing that makes it worth watching, is the characters and how they react to the situation they're in.  All in all you get tons of shootings(they even shoot a horse!), a few hangings, a stabbing and some fingers get chopped off.  There are a few seemingly unrealistic elements, like, for example, a lot of the characters here seem quite old and fat.  I'm no historian but I would think living in the old west would've been pretty rough and being old plus totally out of shape would drastically cut down your hopes of survival but if you're not a nit-picky asshole like me check it out.  It's no DJANGO but not terrible if you dig westerns at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment