/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

RED SPELL SPELLS RED (1983)


 I think my expectations for this Asian horror film were a little high going in. I was told this was a really gross, over-the-top kind of a thing along the lines of BOXER'S OMEN. Maybe I've seen too many of these black magic ghost films but I didn't think this one was all that disgusting. You do get an army of  evil scorpions, some of which appear out of boils on a woman's body, so if scorpions gross you out this might be an extra creepy film for you. On the sillier side you also get possessed chickens escaping from a cock-fight and people dying in ridiculous ways by getting attacked by trees and flung around like rag-dolls. Maybe it was just the cut I saw of this because I was also told there were a bunch of pigs being slaughtered here and that was nowhere in the version I watched. Basically it's your typical nasty spirit comes back from the dead, seeks revenge and has to do battle with good sorcerers with just a pinch of kung fu thrown in towards the end. There is a nice bit where a priest gets possessed and has to kick his own ass. It's all sort of similar to the movie BLACK MAGIC but not as good.  

Wacky opening scene from some shit-ass VHS copy:

No comments:

Post a Comment