/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Monday, October 17, 2016

THE MANSION OF MADNESS (1973)



 This Mexican weird-o artsy/horror flick seems to me to be almost a not-quite-as-good version of a Jodorowsky film. This isn't to say it's not good at all, since anything that reminds me of Jodorowsky, even inferior Jodorowsky, is still worth checking out. There is a direct connection here as director Juan Lopez Moctezuma was a producer on EL TOPO. I feel like some of the visual choices here are really interesting and possibly could be very beautiful if made by a better filmmaker but while it's captivating to watch it's mostly all very ugly at the same time. It tells the tale of what happens when literally 'the inmates take over the asylum'. It gets a bit rapey, there's a man named Mr. Chicken who clucks around a bunch and everything gets more and more insane as things progress/regress until there's a big violence party.
 There is a cut American version of this titled DR. TARR'S TORTURE DUNGEON which I babbled about here. It's been awhile since I watched that cut but from what I recall it seemed a lot duller. Although this time I was in a theater so maybe that's what made it seem more fast-paced. I would recommend the uncut version since that's almost always the way to go. AKA HOUSE OF MADNESS

No comments:

Post a Comment