/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Sunday, July 7, 2019

THE SPIDER LABYRINTH (1988)



 Fairly obscure late 80s Italian horror flick. Seems to have been inspired by Italy's early 80s output, Fulci & Argento mainly. I've only seen a version of this that played on Italian T.V.(pretty amazing from my American perspective to see what was allowed on Italian T.V. at the time(full boobs and bush and pretty hardcore violence)) and I'm not sure if this ever played in theaters anywhere. The movie deals with a town in Budapest that's run by a cult of spider-god worshiping weirdos. Some of those H.P. Lovecraft old gods are involved also I suspect. Unfortunately most of the film is a bit dull but it does liven up when a claymation/stop-motion spider shows up and there's a stand out sequence with a weird baby monster that our spider pops out of that must been seen to be believed.
 I had the displeasure of seeing this in a theater full of hipster-types who laughed out loud at things that might make a 7 year old chuckle but were generally pretty typical for anyone who's seen any Italian cinema from this era(I guess straight sex scenes are hilarious to millennials?) and this brought my ranking down a bit though I doubt a re-watch would ever make me think of this as an all-time classic.   





No comments:

Post a Comment