/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Friday, December 28, 2012

THE MASK OF THE DEMON (1989)


 I've seen a few people refer to this as Lamberto Bava's remake of his father's BLACK SUNDAY(a.k.a. THE MASK OF SATAN) but after watching it I think it's definitely more in the crappy rip-off department. The only thing that it takes from Mario Bava's film is the whole mask with the spikes in it thing and a witch who comes back and gets revenge. It also goes under the alternate title BLACK SUNDAY which is pretty ballsy for such a shitty imitation. The majority of the plot varies greatly from the original SUNDAY film though and is unfortunately way less stylish and iconic. Also we have no one here that is anywhere near the great Barbara Steele so they let a guy be the lead and he seems like an extremely dumb fellow throughout.  
 The movie starts of with a bunch of nitwit skiers who end up trapped in an ice-cave where they unleash some evil forces. Pretty quickly things stop making sense until we devolve into one of those- "was it a dream or did it really happen"-types of stories, and I hate those! Needless to say this was not a fun watch. Perhaps the fact that it was originally made for Spanish TV may have been a big reason. For a TV movie though it does feature a bit of nudity and gore which I doubt you would see in anything made for TV here in America.
 This one is also alternately known as DEMONS 5:THE DEVIL'S VEIL which kind of makes sense since our group do sorta resemble the monsters from DEMONS and all the DEMONS sequels I've seen(besides part 2) are terrible!


5 comments:

  1. This movie sucks pretty hard. The only thing I enjoyed was in the beginning when the chick breaks her leg and her friends say "Stop crying! We are on vacation... We want to have fun". Everything else made me want to shit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, horrible dubbing, shitty plot & terrible FX. I just always feel the need to check out these movies that they throw the DEMONS name on and they always blow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah even that movie The Church that everyone likes sucks pretty bad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this film. I think you may be overlooking some really awesome set-pieces. For example, I really liked the scenes when the frescoes came to life and when the camera swoops over the ski group linking hands around the confession booth. The FX is not that bad. I don't think it was ever called Black Sunday (IMDb isn't really reliable). I do agree that the protagonist is an absolute dumbass. Seriously, after the umpteenth time the demon appears, you'd think he'd keep his dick in his pants!!!

    As for the Demons series, I actually like the 4th one, 'The Sect', a lot. The imagery is beautiful and symbolic and the story, while convoluted, is quite fun and whimsical. Demons 6: De Profundis is a guilty pleasure of mine, I love it more than I care to admit. Of course, many of them shouldn't be judged as Demons sequels (especially The Sect and Cemetery Man).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever seen THE SECT but I do recall hating THE CHURCH a whole bunch. In general Italian horror from the 90's, just like American horror, is not my favorite era.
    I think my favorite special effect in DEMONS 5 is when our main dumb-ass hero is getting it on with his girlfriend and her breasts shrivel up and then he's getting humped by an old haggy witch. At least that's a scary idea.

    ReplyDelete