/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Sunday, March 1, 2015

KILLER BARBYS VS. DRACULA (2001)



 I had been wanting to see this one for a while since I really liked the original KILLER BARBYS movie from 1996 which felt like Jess Franco's version of a SCOOBY-DOO episode, and I've rewatched it a few times over the years, so I figured this sequel would have to at least be halfway decent. Unfortunately it really isn't. By the 2000's Mr. Franco was stuck shooting super-duper low-budget shot-on-video stuff that really doesn't convey his artistic visions very well. I probably coulda saved a bunch of time and gotten just as much enjoyment out of watching a couple of Killer Barbies music videos since all the stuff wrapped around their performances is pretty pointless. There's a bald Nosferatu-type Dracula, Lina Romay runs around doing a Transylvanian accent and it's all played for giggles. Also this is one of the few Franco movies that doesn't feature graphic nudity or sex in it. You do get a few scantily-clad ladies including the lovely lead-singer Sylvia Superstar, lots of Eurotrashy rock music and a bunch of people getting bitten in the neck that you don't really care about. Stick with the first one for better sleazy Franco thrills.

 

5 comments:

  1. Oh what a disappointment. I too liked the other Barbys film- thought it good fun. So I guess this one needs to stay bottom of the pile then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be hard for me to recommend this to anyone. If you've seen any of Jess' later One Shot Productions you kinda know what you're in for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of his later films I ve only seen Barbys and Commando Mengele. I have tried to watch a few others and gave up after a few minutes or so. I couldn't get into that shot on tape vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear that! I think TENDER FLESH back in 1997 was the last of his movies that I thought was good.

    I've never even heard of COMMANDO MENGELE but after looking it up I see it was actually directed by Andrea Bianchi who is an equally insane director. I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah it was Bianchi. I thought it was a Franco/Bianchi collaboration, Either way it feels more like a Bianchi film than a Franco film.

    ReplyDelete