/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Monday, August 21, 2017

ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER (1969)


 I gave this film a pretty crappy review way back in 2012 when I caught it in a theater in New York City. Having re-watched it again recently at home under the ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER title I had almost the exact opposite reaction to it. Not sure if it was because of a shitty film-print, the alternate title being that different? or the many beers I consumed before I first watched this way back when making me extra surly, but I'm gonna just treat this like a first time viewing and write about it all fresh-like:
 This might be the most stylish of director Lucio Fulci's earlier films. Not really being a huge fan of some of his other films from this era I was a bit surprised to find this one very entertaining. This may have quite a bit to do with the super sexy Marissa Mell(best known to me as Diabolik's chick from DANGER: DIABOLIK) in the lead female role which is actually two different roles, or is it? While I suppose this is technically a giallo, it's really only barely a giallo with only one death for most of the film and it plays out as more of a straight-on mystery. You do get the twisty ending and a big reveal but it's more concerned with the journey of  a cheating husband(Jean Sorel)  and his attempt to solve the puzzle of his murdered wife. We go through a snazzy stripclub, an artsy photography studio and all over San Francisco and Paris which all show off some striking visuals that I wasn't so sure Mr. Fulci had in him. All in all I think this might be my new favorite Fulci from before he became the blood-soaked gorefather we all know and love.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment