/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Sunday, February 3, 2013

JOHN DIES AT THE END (2012)


 Got to see this in a theater with director Don Coscarelli in attendance the other night and while I've enjoyed pretty much all of Coscarelli's other films that I've seen and he seems like a nice enough guy, this was a pretty awful movie.  It did seem to be a hit with the audience I was in so maybe if you're in your 20's or younger and a big fan of video games and don't care about things like plots or pacing of a film or coherent narratives or ideas that go anywhere this might be the film for you.  I will give the filmmakers credit for at least trying to mix a few different genres together(comedy, horror, sci-fi, fantasy) in an effort to make something different I just don't think it works in any way, at least not for me.  There's a monster made of meat products, a mix of practical and shitty cgi effects, very handsome leading characters you couldn't care less about and a bunch of inconsequential stuff happens.  This is based on a book that I'm told is way better than the movie and practically unfilmable the way it's written which would explain all the ridiculous elements that are never resolved or explained so maybe the first problem was the idea to make this into a movie at all.  While watching this I couldn't help but think that actor Paul Giamatti would have been a way bigger star back in the 70's when acting mattered, everyone didn't have to look like a pretty-boy and they made real films.  I'm gonna go get drunk and watch PHANTASM now to get this out of my head.





No comments:

Post a Comment