/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

ANTICHRIST (2009)



How do you describe this one? A meditation on relationships, human-nature, death, life? Or is it Lars Von Triers version of a horror film, or simply as he's stated a by-product of depression? It can be seen as all those things and more. I guess it depends on what you bring to it. As with any good piece of art there are different interpretations open to the viewer. The most popular take has been that this is an anti-female movie. I can see where that's perhaps the most blatantly easy thing to come away with. I think it also depicts the male as being a coldly logical being. I think because of the brutal honesty on display there are bound to be people offended for various reasons real or imagined. A visually stunning presentation with thoughts abounding. I've seen it twice now and I think it's up there with the best in its uniqueness.

2 comments:

  1. Great film, brave and visual. It's a film you really feel and experience as you're watching it. The misogynist thing is a lazy criticism in my opinion. I know Mark Kermode always goes on about it, but I don't see it. Not many filmmakers are brave enough to write female characters like this. Why must every heroine be faultless or often just completely vulnerable in most films these days? I agree, I thought Willem Dafoe's character more unsympathetic and less complex, less human than the woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I really need to pick up the Criterion DVD of this and re-watch it again soon.

    ReplyDelete