/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

THE ENTITY (1981)


The CITIZEN CANE of ghost-rape movies?  Well since it's the only one I can think of at the moment I'll say yes.  Barbara Hershey stars and does a good job in this surprisingly well acted and, for the most part, well done movie. The film takes the stupidest of subject matter (a violent rapist ghost) and delivers a better film than you would expect given the material.  Purportedly based on a true story (why do I find that hard to believe?) the script is pretty simplistic yet our sympathies are all over the place.  The sympathetic psychologist character comes off as an asshole since he never believes Hershey's claims of poltergiesty-rape even though we, as the audience, clearly see it happen.  Hershey herself comes off as a weird nutty mom who seems a bit overly touchy with her son in a borderline incest-fueled way.  We probably wouldn't believe her story either if we didn't observe it firsthand. And to me the ghost hunter characters also come off as some sorta sci-fi nerd ass-wipes since I just think ghost hunting in general is pretty fucking stupid.  So I'm not sure who I'm supposed to relate to in this thing.  I can't help but feel with some minor alterations the director could have made the film more of a mystery where we're not sure what to think but then again seeing an Emmy award winning actress raped by an invisible intruder is a thrill in and of itself.  I'll say check it out for something different.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this film but theres a part of me that wishes I could hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's a Hollywood film about ghosts and they almost always suck but it has those ridiculous rape scenes that put it over the top.

    ReplyDelete