/* Scroll box by BloggerSentral.com START */ Html2 .widget-content { height: 200px; overflow: auto; } /* Scroll box END */

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!

A mad journey into the mind of the depraved!
Recommended for devolved primates only!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

GOD'S ANGRY MAN (1980)


Back when I was a kid before we had a VCR, and before we had cable, local UHF stations were my main source for obscure horror films, WWF wrestling, The Uncle Floyd Show, weird Japanese cartoons and other assorted strange stuff that the main stations never showed.  If you fiddled with the antennae just right you could find a whole world of bizarre programming that most people didn't give a shit about.  One late night I tuned into a Connecticut station to find a strange white-haired, bearded man wearing a cowboy hat sitting quietly in front of a live studio audience reading a bible and puffing on a big cigar while some band, decked out in used car salesman suits, played some pseudo-religious jazzy number.  The man would stop reading occasionally to yell at  me and any other viewers, insane enough to be watching this at 1 in the morning, for not sending him money for his church then he would yell at his band to play the same song over and over again.  That was where I discovered Dr. Gene Scott and whenever there weren't any worthwhile trash films airing I would end up watching this clearly unhinged, so-called man of God terrorize and threaten people into coughing up some dough for Jesus.  Although I never sent Scott any money I feel I should thank him in some way for the hours of entertainment back then and also unintentionally for my views on the insanity of religion today.  In this documentary, director Werner Herzog lets Scott tell his own story and doesn't add any narrative at all.  Not sure if this would appeal in any way to an audience who doesn't know anything about Scott prior to viewing it but for me it was a trip down memory lane to a time when I had nothing better to do with my life than get yelled at on a Saturday night by God's angry man.

4 comments:

  1. True but he's also kind of a genius. I mean he was able to make millions of dollars a month just by yelling at people and putting on a wacky TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the video clip you put up.
    I want one of those monkeys.
    Its amazing how their eyes bulge out when you hit them.
    I wish t.v. was like this today. I might even give it a watchin from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think TV as well as most movies and music of today has become one big corporate run homogenized blob of conformity. People in general aren't interested in anything out of the ordinary so they get the bland boring slop they want and they like it that way.

    ReplyDelete